Global Village Dubai has been one of our favourite annual outdoor events – we’ve been visiting ever since it was far out in Garhoud, and to be honest, it has almost always been for the food.
Back in the day, you could enter Global Village Dubai for a mere Dhs5 and head to each pavilion to try authentic food from the country – the layout is slightly different now for eateries. I remember going back for Kothu roti (the Sri Lanka roti and mixed vegetables), fried banana with caramel glaze and squid balls from the Philippines pavilion, chai from India, and hot Omani halwa that was cooked at the pavilion.
This season it’s open until April 6th 2019 and it’s bigger and better than ever. Here are 5 reasons why you should head there:
- They now have a Floating Market with over 38 outlets on boats and bank-side kiosks. The food at this funfair is incredible – we kid you not! This year, traditional treats from Uzbekistan, Kuwait, Italy, Afghanistan and China have been added to the list of restaurants, cafes and tuk tuks. And in total, there are over 150 F&B outlets in total, with specialties from the Gulf, to Cuba and Mexico. Last year we tried a shawarma, Nattas (custard pastry from Portugal), bubble waffle, raclette, and juicy burgers. We’ll be a bit more daring this time.
- You can visit the largest Emirati pavilion in the history of Global Village and learn about the country’s heritage and culture. You can’t leave without trying freshly prepared lugeimat (deep-fried crisp dumplings drizzled with date syrup).
- The Carnaval has six new thrilling rides, 100 video games and a massive interactive gaming area.
- Jason Derulo will be performing (Say Wut!?) Yes! 23 concerts are scheduled for every Friday at 9pm. Some of the other artists are Elissa, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan, Neha Kakkar, Mohammed Munir, Rabeh Saqer and more. If you love vehicle stunts, don’t miss The Superloop Stunt Show with breath-taking performances by over 30 professional stunt men and women. Got children? Take them to the circus for acrobatics and fun tricks.
- Last but not the least, the shopping here is ah-mazeballs! You can find Persian rugs, spices, toys, frames, furniture, clothes, accessories, shoes, edibles, Korean beauty products, and literally anything that is trending all over the world right now. The best part, you can bargain!
#NoMoreFomo: Global Village Dubai is on from October 30, 2018 to April 6, 2019, from 4pm to 12am Saturday to Wednesday, and until 1am on Thursday, Friday and public holidays. Monday is for families and women only. Tickets are Dhs15 per person, visit globalvillage.ae
Where is Global Village? Map here